We investigate, through scholarship and research, the psychological factors that influence, and are influenced by physical activity, exercise and sport.
Researchers in exercise, health and sport psychology study the socio-cultural and psycho-social factors associated with involvement in human movement activities.
- broad social systems and cultural values that surround participation in sport and exercise
- small-group process such as team/group dynamics and coach or athlete interaction
- individual psychological processes such as participation motives
- achievement goals
- reactions to success and failure.
Specific areas of teaching and research interest for staff in exercise, health and sport psychology:
- performance enhancement interventions
- career transitions
- coping processes
- staleness and burn-out
- resiliance and mental toughness
- injury rehabilitation
- psychological processes associated with exercise adoption
- psychological consequences of exercise.